20080912

Guangzhou's Best Burger Joint Reopens

"Take off, eh." Strange Brew has reopened after closing for the summer (supposedly because of the Beijing Olympics--Aiya! "The best laid plans..."). It's located in the quiet neighboorhood of 五羊新城Wuyangxincheng on 明月一路Mingyueyilu, a block west of the Ramada Inn. This Canadian-owned bar serves arguably--although everyone I know agrees--the best burgers in Guangzhou. Flavors range from the familiar North American-style Bacon Mushroom Melt to the East Asian-inspired Wasabi Mayo. They're made with 100% Aussie beef; prices range from 40 to 50 RMB. Strange Brew also boasts a couple of the better beer taps in Guangzhou, pouring drafts of Hoegaarden and Paulaner, not to mention ubiquitous Tiger. Originally designed (somewhat uncomfortably) to be a chill-out bar (formerly "Lucid Lounge") the new Hockey-cum-Canadian decor is more befitting of its owners and its regulars. It's usually low-key, but packed when the owners (a couple of whom also own Hooley's) promote a party. No mice in the beer here. Bob and Doug McKenzie would dig it.

Here's someone else's review with the bar's contact information.

(I just wish I had a photo. I'll take one the next time I'm there, but if you've got one, post it in the comments below.)

No comments:

To receive posts by email, enter your email address:

My photos

Articles I'm reading

Morgue